What is Berrisys?
Berrisys is a laminated plastic, dual release, sulfur dioxide generating sheet designed to protect blueberries already packed in sealed units such as clamshell or heat sealed punnets.
Berrisys is manufactured on the same principles as Uvasys. Its function is to protect blueberries that are transported and stored, from post-harvest fungal decay, particularly the devastation caused by Botrytis cinerea fungus (grey mould / mold).
How does it work?
- Berrisys consists of a sequence of laminated plastic membranes, each bonded by a wax layer containing precise concentrations, and particle sizes, of Sodium Metabisulfite: Na2S2O5.
- The top and middle plastic membranes sandwich the Slow Release layer.
- The middle and bottom membranes sandwich the Fast Release layer.
- The Fast Release sterilizes the surface of the blueberries, by releasing a large enough dose of sulphur dioxide over a 24 to 48 hour period to kill and eliminate any actively growing Botrytis cinerea fungal spores.
- The Slow Release layer emits a low, continual dose of sulphur dioxide gas, concentrated enough to inhibit any superficial latent or inherent Botrytis cinerea spores from growing, but also low enough to ensure sulfite residues within the blueberries remain safely below the legal limit of 10 ppm. Infection which occurred at flowering could still develop but will be contained to the affected blueberry.
- The quantity of SO2 emitted is critical to the efficacy of the product as an excessive release of SO2 can cause bleaching while insufficient release may not prevent the development of Botrytis.
- For more detail on the chemical reactions please visit the Research page.
Use the Berrisys sheet recommended for the corresponding carton size; refer to the below options table.
Place the punnets inside the carton. Heat sealed or clamshells, may be used.
If packing multiple layers, use one sheet per layer.
Please click on the download button for a PDF of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). You will be taken to the Downloads section of the website where a login is required to retrieve the document. A suitable PDF reader will be required. Please use the Contact Us page for specific questions.
Your size options:
|CARTON SIZE(mm)||SHEET SIZE(mm)||DESCRIPTION||PACK SIZE (units)|
|400 x 300||356 x 260||Dual Release 4.5 kg||1000|
|500 x 400||460 x 350||Dual Release 8.0 kg||500|
|600 x 400||530 x 350||Dual Release 9.0 kg||500|
For frequently asked questions pertaining to this product please click this link where you will be taken through to the FAQ page.
Disclaimer: This website is for marketing purposes only. All references to values, volumes, timeframes and other variables are guidelines only. If you require precise information please use the contact us page with your query.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA