What is Florasys?
Florasys is a laminated plastic, sulphur dioxide generating strips designed and manufactured on the same principles as Uvasys. Its function is to protect cut roses that are transported, from postharvest fungal decay, particularly the devastation caused by Botrytis cinerea fungus (grey mould).
The unique and innovative construction of Florasys sulphur dioxide generating strips ensures a predictable and consistent emission of sulphur dioxide over an extended period. This has the benefit of maximum fungal decay control, combined with minimum sulphur dioxide burn damage. The superior appearance of rose buds after transport can easily be seen, and the consequent extension in vase life makes Florasys an obvious choice.
These major advantages are in part owing to its unique plastic and wax/sodium metabisulphite matrix laminating process, and in part to the manufacturing process which adheres to tight specifications and stringent quality control procedures.
How does it work?
- Florasys consists of a sequence of laminated plastic membranes, each bonded by a wax layer containing precise concentrations, and particle sizes, of Sodium Metabisulfite: Na2S2O5.
- The top and middle plastic membranes, sandwiches the Slow Release layer.
- The middle and bottom membranes sandwiches the Fast Release layer.
- Once the sheet is actived an autocatalytic reaction is initiated, whereby the strips starts releasing a time, and concentration-varying stream of SO2.
- The Fast Release sterilizes the surface of the roses, by releasing a large enough dose of sulphur dioxide over a 24 to 48 hour period to kill and eliminate any actively growing Botrytis cinerea fungal spores.
- The Slow Release layer remains active for up to 120 days, emitting a low, continual dose of sulphur dioxide gas, concentrated enough to inhibit any superficial latent or inherent Botrytis cinerea spores from growing, but also low enough to ensure sulfite residues within the flowers remain safely below 10 ppm.
- The quantity of SO2 emitted is critical to the efficacy of the product as an excessive release of SO2 can cause bleaching while insufficient release may not prevent the development of Botrytis.
- SO2 not only protects against fungal growths but also helps in maintaining a greener stem colour.
- For more detail on the chemical reactions please visit the Research page.
Flowers should be packed in boxes according to standard protocols as for export.
Recommended Packing Temperature < 20°C.
Florasys strips should be placed with the shiny side up directly on top of the flowers .
It is not required to use any other packing material between the Florasys strips and the
Florasys strips should be placed equal distances from each other.
Three Florasys strips per box are recommended for boxes containing up to 500 stems.
Four Florasys strips per box are recommended for boxes containing more than 500 stems.
Use only the recommended number of Florasys strips per box of flowers. Do not cut or modify the strips.
Once the recommended number of Florasys strips are placed on or around the flowers the box must
be closed and the lid secured with strapping.
Packed boxes should be placed in cold storage as soon as possible.
Please click on the download button for a PDF of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). You will be taken to the Downloads section of the website where a login is required to retrieve the document. A suitable PDF reader will be required. Please use the Contact Us page for specific questions.
Please find below the generic sizes pertaining to the product. We also manufacture alternative sizes depending on specific client requests. Please get in touch to find out if we already have the size you require available.
|CARTON SIZE(mm)||SHEET SIZE(mm)||PACK SIZE (units)|
|Client specific||347 x 140||1000|
For frequently asked questions pertaining to this product please click this link where you will be taken through to the FAQ page.
Disclaimer: This website is for marketing purposes only. All references to values, volumes, timeframes and other variables are guidelines only. If you require precise information please use the contact us page with your query.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA